I’m sensing a trend here…

by | Jun 11, 2009 | Uncategorized

So it was a rather unremarkable Wednesday. The man was off work, and he and the boys were in the back doing yardwork. Something with ratchet straps and the clubhouse and I really just try to stay out of these things and make sure they have enough water to drink. Anyhow, I thought I would be a good Betty Homemaker. So I pulled out my shortbread pan, and mixed up some oatmeal shortbread.
It’s the simplest recipe ever. 1 cup flour, 3 tbsp. sugar, 1 stick of butter. Mix flour and sugar, and cut in butter. Add 1/3 cup rolled oats. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes. The edges should be a nice golden brown. Immediately after removing it from the oven, spread one cup of butterscotch chips over the top. As they melt, smooth them out. Let cool and then enjoy. Shortbread is love, right?

Let me tell you about this shortbread pan. For like three years I admired it at the Scottish Festival. But it was pricey to me, and I couldn’t justify it. But finally the man said (well shouted actually) “Just buy it!!!” He argued that I made shortbread regularly, it would make me happy, all that rot. He was right. So I finally bought it.


Being the happy domestic diva that I was yesterday, I was getting ready to run up to the store. It was nearly lunchtime and Publix had fresh pineapple on sale. And the boys love nothing more than fresh pineapple. So I went to check on the yardworkers, and the man asked if I could make some iced tea.

This is when things got dicey.

I figured I should make the tea before I went to the store, so it would have time to cool. So I filled a pan with water, turned the burner on high, set a timer for five minutes, and came to check some things on the computer. The sight that greeted me in five minutes was kind of horrifying. I must tell you that I didn’t smell or hear *anything* during those five minutes. The only reason I got up from my chair was the dinging of the timer.

As I entered the kitchen I saw about 10-12 inch flames shooting from the stove. I had turned on the wrong burner! The one that had the cooling shortbread on it! The kitchen was filled with billowing smoke and my beloved shortbread pan was cracking into pieces before my very eyes. I quickly doused the fire, and opened up the house to start getting the smoke out. When I finally got to Publix I ended up spending $35 on Vanilla Febreeze candles, but the house still has a faint tinge of smoke to it.

Oh and you were wondering about the shortbread?


And yes, this seems to be a trend. The prosecution presents exhibit A : the panbowl, and exhibit B: the pie made of fail.


  1. Joan

    Bummer about the adorable shortbread pan! The same thing happened to me. I put on a kettle of water for tea, and rather than hearing the whistle I got the smoke detector alerting me to the fact that I was instead burning the cutting board!

  2. Jackie

    Oh no! Thankfully it wasn’t worse!

  3. Daniele

    Oh no Corrina! Your lovely shortbread pan! crap.

  4. Heather

    You poor thing! I do frequently leave a burner on by mistake but have (so far) not ruined anything or burned the house down. And I bought an electric kettle to help keep it that way.
    And you must replace that pan, it’s adorable!

  5. Lorena

    Oh nooooooo!!!! My shortbread lovin’ heart breaks for you…

  6. Carol

    Oh that is awful. The husbeast does that ona regular basis. Regular enough that I make a practice of never leaving anything on the stove…..after the ruination of a frying pan etc…

  7. Batty

    Oh no! I did that with a plate full of chicken once… how awful! So glad your house didn’t burn down.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts



Pin It on Pinterest

Skip to content