I probably shouldn’t have said I would blog every day in October. I’m trying to get my writing mojo going again, but today is one of those days that I just don’t want to write anything down. But rather than be negative, I’m going to be positive. Yes, it’s a forced fake it ’til you make it kind of positive, but it’s better than being whiny.
Top Five Things I Love About My Knitting Design Career
1. Flexibility – If I want to work in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep, I can. If I want to take my knitting to the beach and stare at the waves while I work on a project I can.
2. People – Most of my best friends are knitters. It’s so easy and effortless to make knitting and designer friends that it shouldn’t be legal. The love of yarn has brought me together with folks I would have never met otherwise and my life is infinitely better for it.
3. Accomplishment – There are so many big and little ways that knit design is gratifying to my spirit. I love it when things go just right on a project. I love it when folks like my work and even better – want to reproduce it!
4. Income – When I first started this business it was for fun money. Little bits here and there, maybe taking the family to dinner once in a while. Now (for better or for worse!) it’s a serious chunk of our family’s income, and helps to pay for the ever growing expenses of two teenage boys. But it’s so wonderful to make money doing something I love.
5. Challenges – I love that with knit design I can constantly challenge myself. How can I make the yarn do this? How can I make the shawl or the sweater hang just so? I love that with yarn there are so few limits, and that there’s always something new for me to try and do!
What are you favorite things about knitting? (Or knit design if that’s how you roll!) And yes, if my teenage sons saw that I used the phrase “how you roll” they would be mortified. But I figure that’s part of my job as a mom, am I right?