Dusting the tilter… It’s such a cute name for a sweater coat, the tilted duster. I feel like I should wear it with a drink in both hands. As you can see my duster is hanging out in the yarnstore (near the malabrigo and the IK) until it gets cool enough to wear it here. All in all, I must say, I *adore* this sweater!
Notes about this project:
If you knit it in malabrigo (or a similiar kettle dyed or hand dyed yarn) do some looking before you start. In hindsight I wish I had purposely chosen which two balls to use for my sleeves. One sleeve has a lot more of the lighter pink in it than the other. But rather than rip, I decided to “embrace” the kettle dyed qualities.
I was afraid I was going to run out of yarn, so I knit the fronts, the back, the sleeves, and then the collar. That way if I ran short I could just shorten the skirt. Turns out I was fine. I used way less than 6 balls of the red mahogany malabrigo on size 10 needles for the 40″ size. It came out a bit bigger than 40″ because my gauge was off, but I had planned for that.
Regardless of the yarn issue, I think knitting the skirt last was a good idea. The skirt is long and tough to get through, but it’s nice to know that you’re done at that point.
I had saved my original swatch so I tested out steam iron blocking it. It worked fine and didn’t hurt the precious yarn so that’s how I got the curl out of the stockinette portions of the skirt.
I must say, this is one of my favorite projects ever!